DOWNLOAD Technophilia Episode 11: Augmented Reality
March 2, 2012 | In: Uncategorized
Google’s got a brand new product coming out, possibly this year, that will make the streets of your city even more annoying. What is it? Listen to Technophilia Episode 11: Augmented Reality to find out. Technophilia is a weekly, irreverent look at the past week in tech. We talk about the big technology headlines, highlight applications we’re using along with games we’re playing and try to have a good time doing it.
This week: James uses the Star Walk app for iPad to explore the night sky, and to finally convince his visiting parents that iPads are actually kind of neat. Dave plays with “Magic, The Gathering” cards with help from this app. Nerd. And Justin plays with numbers thanks to Wolfram Alpha. Bigger nerd.
And as always, the week’s headlines:
- Apple is so big that the law of big numbers means it needs to slow down eventually. Justin calculates how big Apple will be in 2022 if it grows like it did in the past ten years.
- Order Of The Stick raised one million dollars on Kickstarter, a record for the site. The funds will put out-of-print comic books back into print, but James wants to know: why can’t Joss Whedon use Kickstarter to bring back Firefly?
- Ubuntu for Android turns you phone into a computer. All you need to do is plug in a monitor, mouse and keyboard and your phone is not a desktop system. Hopefully this will be for sale on a phone soon.
- Google hopes to release Android powered glasses this year. Text will overlay your reality, letting you know what’s going on. Look at a building; be told what’s in it.
- A particularly amazing episode of This American Life outlines what happens in Apple’s Foxconn factories. We briefly discuss it.